If you run a Shopify store, the theme can play a key role in standing out from 500000 Shopify stores online and attracting more customers.
Interestingly enough, you shouldn’t require an advanced developer to design a theme for your Shopify store. Shopify comprises a lot of free and paid themes you can choose from.
But the question is – Which Shopify theme is best for your website?
Well, in this post, we have screened and listed down the 12 best free Shopify themes for your online store, along with their key features.
Contents in this post are as follows:
- Choosing the right theme for your Shopify theme
- 5 things to look for in a good theme
- The best Shopify free Shopify themes in 2022
Choosing the right theme for your Shopify store:
Here are the four things you should consider before choosing the right Shopify theme for your eCommerce store:
1. Customer demographics
While selecting free Shopify themes, considering the important customer demographics can help you to target the right kind of customers in your niche.
The top customer demographic categories to look for are gender, age, location, interests, devices they use, etc.
2. Type of your business
The type of your business can also dictate the choice of theme. For example, if you run a watch and jewelry online store, these are products that perhaps compel bigger and high-quality photos rather than detailed textual descriptions, so for these types of businesses, it would be better to go with a theme that extends products to have bigger pictures and more visual aids such as magnification, rotation, etc. So, keep in mind to give your online store the complete look that matches your product and business model.
3. Website features
38% of visitors will stop engaging with a website if the content or layout is unattractive. Try to inculcate a mobile-friendly theme and ensure cross-browser compatibility to ensure that your Shopify theme will provide the same user experience and functionality for everyone.
4. Matches your Brand Image
Your online store’s visuals and theme should suit your brand name and image. For example, if you provide financial services, a professional theme with green or blue color would most likely match your niche and brand image.
5 things to look for in a good Shopify Theme
Make sure your theme allows necessary customizations. Most times themes are very basic and require a certain degree of customization to provide them with the exact look that matches your product and business model. These might be minor things such as changing the font style or adding a live chat to your landing page, but these elements can go a long way in carving your website unique.
2. Fast load speed
It is all nice to have a visually startling website, but sometimes simplicity can be reasonable enough if you are smart. If your theme comprises loads of style sheets and animation, it can affect the speed of the website, and a slow and lagging website can create a frustrating user experience. Avoid it at any cost.
Responsiveness means your theme has been optimized to look good and work on all digital devices, such as desktops, mobiles, and tablets. A theme may look good on one device, but may not look good when viewed on other devices, creating a poor user experience. So, select a Shopify theme that is optimized for every possible layout and screen resolution. Whether your customers view your site from a tablet, smartphone, desktop, or laptop, your website should display perfectly – exactly as it should.
4. Customer Support
When selecting a Shopify free theme, the possibility to contact the developer for help is something to take into consideration. You will need professional support from the theme developer if something goes wrong. So make sure your theme developer counts on high quality, instant service, ready to make any changes or fix a bug.
5. SEO friendly
Attracting visitors is the pinnacle of a successful website, having an SEO-friendly website can save you money that you would be committing to tools like Google Ads to bring traffic to your website.
The best free Shopify themes in 2022
1. DEBUT (Overall ratings ⭐ 50% Positive, 90 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/debut/styles/default
If you are looking for Shopify free templates in the Shopify theme store that look incredible leap confidence in the debut, a gorgeous theme that slashes perfectly when it gets to style and functionality. The debut theme Shopify can help you showcase recommended products on product pages to increase discoverability.
- Easy to set up: Commence selling straight away, without the need to bring in plenty of customizations to your theme
- Responsive: DEBUT is responsive to multiple devices including tablets and smartphones
- Customizable store layout: Handily alter your store layout, and glimpse your modifications in real-time
Debut is good for:
Debut is designed to beautifully showcase your brand and products. This theme is suitable for all stores, regardless of inventory size and it is a ready-to-use theme.
2. SIMPLE (Overall ratings ⭐ 86% Positive, 29 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/simple/styles/light
If you are looking for the best Shopify themes that allow you to display your products in the best way possible, the Simple Shopify theme is worth checking out.
As the name implies, Simple is neat and minimal and involves image animations. You won’t see these on most free themes for Shopify but they’re great for creating an interesting transition between images.
The product image zoom feature is encompassed with the Shopify simple theme, bestowing decent views of your products to your customers.
- Responsive: Include a mobile-first responsive design.
- Easy to set up: This theme is quite simple to set up while extending the essential functionalities you desire, to get your eCommerce up and running instantly.
- Sidebar Menu: Simple features an accordion-style menu in your sidebar to easily display your products and collections.
Simple is good for:
Simple is especially helpful if you have a “Shop” page on your website, as this Shopify theme contributes a huge room for a product image display.
3. MINIMAL (Overall ratings ⭐ 83% Positive, 98 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/minimal/styles/vintage
Minimal offers numerous styles, including one for vintage shops, fashion, and music.
The Minimal theme has an elegant slideshow that benefits large portrayals of your best products. This slideshow goes on your homepage to improve conversions and offer people a substantial opening to your products.
- Responsive: Responsive theme that looks great on any device.
- Customization: Loaded with features formulated to give you extensive flexibility, you can customize your online store with further layout options, product views, collection views, navigation styles, and typography choices.
Minimal is good for:
Minimal Theme is a perfect design choice for making your products stand out in your Shopify store. Theme setup steps are minimal to allow for a quick launch.
4. VENTURE (Overall ratings ⭐ 47%Positive, 68 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/venture/styles/snowboards
The venture is a bold yet minimal theme developed for high-volume stores with large inventories and comprises an edge-to-edge slideshow and multi-column drop-down menus.
This theme comes in three styles namely snowboards, outdoors, and boxing.
- Fast load speed: This theme is fairly quick and professionally laid out.
- Promotional banner: This theme includes a promotional bar that promotes your store’s latest sale, promotion, or discount offers at the top of the home page.
The Venture theme is good for:
The Venture theme is a great theme for large product catalogs. Venture promotes a single product by featuring it front and center on your home page and includes a mega-menu as well.
5. SUPPLY (Overall ratings ⭐ 60% Positive, 57 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/supply/styles/blue
Supply easily showcases and filters large inventories. This free theme for Shopify will allow you to host a vast supply of products on a template built with digital/electronic stores in mind.
- Responsive: Works on desktop, mobile, and tablets with wide responsive integration.
- Easy to navigate: The navigation has been organized to enable the customer to bounce from one section to another seamlessly, with things like related products, top-selling products, and other product classifications exposed to the visitor constantly.
Supply is good for:
This theme will make your online store win if you’ve got more than 50 products, over 5 collections, or large menus.
6. SENSE (Overall ratings ⭐ 45% Positive, 11 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/sense/styles/default
Sense is an energizing theme accentuating extensive product detail layouts.
This theme stimulates your brand with a fresh color palette and soft gradients set against curved elements that gently lead customers through your store.
- Customization: Sense is featured with advanced customization options which allow flexible design and customization settings to achieve your desired vision without having to touch any code.
- Visual brand promotion: Sense is designed to showcase images to support visual brand storytelling.
Sense is good for:
If your online store comes under health and beauty categories, the Sense theme is the apt choice. Online stores with small catalogs can choose this theme without hesitation.
7. BROOKLYN (Overall ratings ⭐ 69% Positive, 86 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/brooklyn/styles/classic
The Brooklyn Shopify theme gives two distinct styles.
The first one, called Classic, is excellent for modern garments stores or any type of apparel retailer.
The second one, the Playful style gives a more niche edition of the theme, with sharp colors, which would look great for a bakery or kids’ clothing store.
- Dynamic layout: This theme offers a dynamic product grid that permits the layout of your products to change automatically based on how many are displayed.
- Customization: Optimized for conversions.
Brooklyn is good for:
Brooklyn is purpose-built for contemporary apparel e-stores but is versatile enough to be used for virtually any product under the sun with a focus on brand imagery.
8. NARRATIVE (Overall ratings ⭐ 56% Positive, 52 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/narrative/styles/earthy
The Narrative theme is designed for brand and product storytelling. The theme has multiple sections where you can list and illustrate your product using large images, videos, carousels, and much more.
- Wide layout: This theme makes the most of large, high-resolution imagery with a full-width layout.
- Visual storytelling: Narrative showcases the finer components of your product with customizable image blocks, quote slides, and more.
- Customization: You can customize anything from blockquotes to images, directing your customers through the tale of your brand.
The narrative theme is good for:
The narrative theme will help you if you’re selling a single premium product. This theme is designed for showcasing and promoting single products.
9. BOUNDLESS (Overall ratings ⭐ 43% Positive, 30 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/boundless/styles/black-white
Boundless features multiple products or brand images in a fade-effect slideshow on your home page. It spotlights a stunning header area, with support for a large picture that takes up the bulk of the screen.
Boundless emphasizes large, high-resolution images in a dedicated product gallery. The theme has social media icons and multiple color palettes.
- Customization: This theme includes various customizable content domains on the homepage.
- Home page video: The Boundless theme comprises a homepage video for building a more media-rich atmosphere on your homepage.
Boundless is good for:
Boundless is great for showcasing product imagery as collection images are presented in a full-width grid layout.
10. VOONEX (Overall ratings ⭐ 4.5/5)
Voonex – Event and Conference Free Shopify Theme with modern design layout and groundbreaking features arrives with a great look and feel in each mouse scrolling as it is incorporated with smooth effects and several distinctive components.
This theme is elaborately built to fit in any eCommerce website about the event, conference, meeting, summit, exhibition, concert, expo, etc.
Voonex’s best features include event information, speaker profiles, sponsors, schedules, and the venue.
- SEO friendly theme: SEO optimized theme along with social media integration
- Responsive: Responsive design.
- Customization: This theme will give you the power to manage your site easily without code knowledge requirements and importantly, better your customer’s online shopping experience.
Voonex is good for:
A perfect choice for any organization to expand its events.
Link to the theme: https://colorlib.com/wp/themes/fashe-free-shopify-ecommerce-theme
If you are hunting for free premium Shopify themes, Fashe is the right choice. Colorlib carved it as a premium template in the initial stage but then chose to give it away for free.
- Customization: Fashe features several front-page variations that you can use to build various eCommerce stores in many different niches.
- Responsive: It is also accessible in plain HTML in case you like to modify it to be used for other platforms.
Fashe is good for:
Fashe is a stylish-looking Shopify WordPress theme and ideal if you want to have top navigation, sticky Navigation, large image optimization, and full-width collection image.
12. DAWN (Overall ratings ⭐ 40% Positive, 58 Reviews)
Link to the theme: https://themes.shopify.com/themes/dawn/styles/default
Dawn lets your products take center stage with large imagery, crisp lines, and streamlined fonts that maintain buyer attention concentrated on what matters.
- Easy to set up: If you are in a hurry for a quick launch of your online store Dawn is good with its minimal setup steps.
- Dawn comes with flexible, well-designed blocks for images, products, videos, quotes, and more.
Dawn is good for:
This theme is great for clothing and accessories, health and beauty, and home and garden categories. This tremendous theme suits online stores with any catalog size.
Choosing the theme for your online store can be a pleasure, after all this is what bestows your online store life! Also, you don’t have to pay lots of money for one. Shopify premium themes free download is an opportunity for your online store to be elegant and striking. Make sure your free Shopify templates look attractive since it’s the first impression for your customer.
Additionally, do not forget to have a live chat option for your website. It is crucial as more and more websites are utilizing live chat software as a chance to get in touch with site visitors and deliver top-tier customer service.
Also, you can try the Helplama Helpdesk – the customer service software that can help you automate and scale your customer support.